Opinions & Suggestions needed for audio system I'm thinking of getting

Boom boom boom!

Should I purchase this audio system?

Yes...go for it!
50%
Yes, but you need more for a quality setup.
25%
Nah, shop around and look into another brand
25%
No way...it sucks!
No votes

Total votes: 4

xpo081
Forum Member

Opinions & Suggestions needed for audio system I'm thinking of getting

Postby xpo081 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:58 pm

My current audio mods along with my stock Monsoon system w/ amp in my Jetta VR6 2000 is an Eclipse deck with Sirius satellite radio.

This is what I'm planning on getting installed very soon. Let me know what you guys think especially in regards to what type of customized box I should get (i.e. plexiglass, fiberglass, vinyl, neon, etc.)

2 - JL Audio XR650CSI component package w/ programmable x-over (front & rear sets)

1 - JL Audio 450/4 amp (for speakers above)

2 - JL Audio 13" W6v2 Subwoofers

1 - JL Audio 1000/1 1000 watt amp class D momoblock amp

2 - Blackmore 2.0 farad capacitor w/ digital voltage guage

1 - Dynmat extreme bulk pack 36 sq. ft. w/ license plate frame kit

I'm getting this all done through Acme Tops & Tunes up here in Sacramento, CA. I could do of course better quality speakers for more money, but for the amount ($7,000 installed & customized) this is what fits me best so far. I listen to all type of music to Hip-Hop, Electronica, Rock, Reggae (my fav), slow jams...etc. I want heavy bass but at the same time with crisp and clear audio.

lunisport

Postby lunisport » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:16 pm

Are you thinking of 2 subs or just one? From what I know, those JLs are pretty hefty, and if you don't mind a bit hit on performance, this setup will sound great. I've personally been putting off a system in my GTI strictly for performance reasons. I have a full setup just sitting around, waiting to get installed, but I didn't want to take a performance hit because of the added weight.

Coming from someone who used to be heavy into the car audio scene, I would slowly build up your system using components you want; don't settle for what you can afford now. You build it up, then you'll end up with an awesome system in the long run. The system you build depends entirely on its purpose, as you probably already know.

If you just want good sound and aren't going for SPL, you could just look into the stealth box that goes into your spare, or have the shop custom fiberglas into the sides of your trunk. I personally would go this route, as it saves trunkspace, weighs a lot less than a huge box, and you can get good sound from a single sub in a proper enclosure. Then you can have the shop custom an amp rack either on your back seat or on the opposite side of the trunk.

Again, it's all up to you, since it's your dime. If you don't mind losing trunk space, and possibly not being able to put your back seats down, then a box with the amps mounted somewhere will work fine. :clap:

xpo081
Forum Member

Postby xpo081 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:28 pm

Diminishing performance was one thing I want to try to avoid, but it looks like with this setup it'll be like having 2 additional passengers.

Someone suggested I get one JL Audio 13" W7 sub instead of two 13" W6v2.

Would you recommend this? If so why and how is better?

lunisport

Postby lunisport » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:50 pm

If anything, I'd recommend 1 dual voice coil sub, that way you could either run it in stereo, but with your amp, you could just run both voice coils from the single output from your amp, and the wattage from teh amp would depend on how you wired your sub, either parallel (lower ohms, more watts) or series (higher ohms, less watts). If your sub is setup for a higher ohms, your amp will run cooler. Home audio stuff is usually 8 or 16 ohms, whereas car audio is usually 4. I'm pretty sure with JL stuff you could run 1 ohm loads, or even 1/2 ohm, but your amp may run hot, and possibly fry (been there, done that too). A single sub would sound good, especially since Jettas don't have much sound deadening between the trunk and the cabin. If anything, you'd save a lot of weight, since the sub would most likely be the heaviest add on to the system. If done right, you'd only add the weight of one dead body :p

Again, if you want the boom boom you can hear me from 4 blocks away bass, then go with dual subs (I had 2 18" subs in one of my cars at one time, cops loved me). But, if you want sound quality, one 13" sub will do well. What I suggest is hit up some car shows or even ask some people on the boards to hear their setup, then let your ears be the judge. Don't rush into car audio too hastily, altho I know it's summer and you wanna roll down the street with some good tunes (I'm itching to do it now, but my GF might have my head :D )

If you're patient and carefully choose your components and install, you'll be happier than if you just rushed in just because you wanted some tunes in the ride.

Also, how reputable are these guys? I haven't been in Sac for ages, but I do know some people up there who may know where you might get a bettter deal or have better ideas for your install.

Shop around, check EBay, look online for the components you want, see if it fits in your budget, but don't settle for something, because you might kick yourself later.

xpo081
Forum Member

Postby xpo081 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:20 am

Originally posted by NUISANCE
Don't get the W7, it needs too big of a box.

I have basically what you want and it pounds. Put up a list of what you want and I will go to my guy to see if i can get a better price.

I have-

-Pioneer AVIC-N1 Head Unit (Navigation, DVD Player, MP3 Player Etc)
-2 JL Audio W6v2 12's
-2 Sets of JL Audio XR Evolution Mids-Components
-A set of JL Audio VR 6x9s in The Rear Deck
-1 JL Audio 1000.1-For The Subwoofers
-1 JL Audio 450.4- For The Mids
-PS2 Under Passenger Dash
-Interfire EF-700B EQ
-5.6 Inch Sony Screens Mounted In The Headrests
-Alumpro 15 Farad Capacitor
-Street Glow Under Body Kit Used To Light Stereo And Trunk- Red
-Lots Of Stinger 0 And 4 Gauge and Interconnects
-Over 72sq ft of Dynamat- Entire Trunk And All The Doors

Okay got it. I was kinda thinking that too.

But do you have pictures you can share of your system and what type of car is it in?

xpo081
Forum Member

Postby xpo081 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:21 am

Originally posted by xpo081
Okay got it. I was kinda thinking that too.

But do you have pictures you can share of your system and what type of car is it in?

My bad. Saw your profile saying you have a Passat 2002.

xpo081
Forum Member

Postby xpo081 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:27 pm

Very nice! Looks pretty tight. Any problems with rattling or has the Dynamat helped stop it along with VW's strong solid structure?

As for my custom trunk, Acme (custom installer in Sac) was suggesting black vinyl along with plexiglass to make a clean look. I think fiberglass might be too expensive. Also, I was thinking of pointing the subs up or the opposite way you have yours so the they fire into the cabin (yikes...ear plugs please). Kinda like what you see below in this Audi

xpo081
Forum Member

Postby xpo081 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:30 pm

The picture above is what I want it to look like, but it looks like this Audi A4 '98 has no back seats. The JL Audio W6v2 or even W7 are pretty big. It looks like this picture has three 10" W6v2. How does he have so much trunk space. Am I trippin?

quality_sound
Forum Member

Postby quality_sound » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:45 am

xpo081 wrote:The picture above is what I want it to look like, but it looks like this Audi A4 '98 has no back seats. The JL Audio W6v2 or even W7 are pretty big. It looks like this picture has three 10" W6v2. How does he have so much trunk space. Am I trippin?

That pic is probably of 8s.

BTW, Acme wouldn't be too high on my list of shops to use. If you absolutely have to have JL (it's probably the most overvalued gear on the market) I'd go to Auto Radio Stereo.
what sig???

xpo081
Forum Member

Postby xpo081 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:11 am

Thanks. I've never heard of Auto Radio Stereo. Where is it? I'm located here in Elk Grove, CA (near Sacramento).

quality_sound wrote:That pic is probably of 8s.

BTW, Acme wouldn't be too high on my list of shops to use. If you absolutely have to have JL (it's probably the most overvalued gear on the market) I'd go to Auto Radio Stereo.

quality_sound
Forum Member

Postby quality_sound » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:25 am

xpo081 wrote:Thanks. I've never heard of Auto Radio Stereo. Where is it? I'm located here in Elk Grove, CA (near Sacramento).

They're on Arden Way RIGHT next to Niello VW. My old shop (Paradyme) is right around the corner (literally) on Fulton. Either shop can do anything you need. Paradyme isn't a JL dealer (we had stopped carrying them in the mid-90s) which is why I didn't suggest them.
what sig???

WerksRacer
Forum Member

Postby WerksRacer » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:12 am

my neighbor (and sometimes visitor to this forum) is the manager & future owner of a Car Stereo shop here in Modesto.

My buddy & the current owner of the shop are NOT big fans of the JL stuff.
Yes it's true, you see them on 'most' Bling vehicles, but JL also has a HUGE Marketing & Promotional budget, keep that in mind.

IF you walked into their shop looking to spend JL-type of money, they would direct you to their top brand, Planet Audio.
Subwoofers

I've heard numerous systems of theirs with the Planet Audio stuff....
all of them kicked major ASS! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
including a 95 VR6 GTI that had 'just' one 10" PA sub in a box...
HOLY CRAP!

You don't say where you're located, but IF you ever get over to Modesto, stop by Audio Plus and ask for Rick.
He is 100% VW, thru & thru.

hth,
Scott
Modesto, Ca

1990 VW Jetta 16V 10.22.04

lunisport

Postby lunisport » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:53 am

Back from the dead bump

omllenado
Forum Member

Postby omllenado » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:39 pm

W6's sounds better than w7s