Upgrading 97 Jetta OEM Stereo to Aftermarket ?

Boom boom boom!
itsinthgam6
Forum Member

Upgrading 97 Jetta OEM Stereo to Aftermarket ?

Postby itsinthgam6 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:38 pm

After working on car a couple of weeks ago and now stuck with the fabulous OEM cassette anti theft "SAFE" deck I'm ready to get a cd player receiver. Nothing fancy but something that works. It's been awhile since replacing my 79 Rabbit dual knob Alpine cassette deck back in the day. :thumb:

Anyway, I went out to Circuit City and Fry's and they have the goods there but pricing / warranty is the questions. From what I found all I need is:

1. tool/ hanger to take out deck
2. wire harness
3. antenna conversion
4. don't need pocket/mounting kit because OEM is regular DIN which is standard size. You'll get the sleave with the deck to insert into the hole to secure the deck at install. (like the good ole days!! hahaah) :rolleyes:

I did find http://www.crutchfield.com had a good deal where for the price of the unit they throw in all the extras you need to install the new stereo for your make/yr of car. :clap:

Question i have is the same found on this link: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Audio-Systems-835/1997-VW-Jetta-CD.htm

The Crutchfield says you have to purchase this $30 Universal Factory Sound System Interface. PAC OEM02 What is this for? Looks like RCA outs for two amps? Will I use this so I can use the aftermarket deck with my existing vw car amp??? :eyes:

Let me know what you know and experience upgrading your MK3 / A3 VW OEM stereo please. Thanks,

#1: 79 Rabbit with booming system (sold)
#2: 85 GTI dream car that I could afford used and 10 years later. (sold)

#3: 02 GTI 1.8T dreamiest car that couldn't afford but leased it anyway.(transfered lease to sister)
#4: 97 Jetta Jazz passed down to me from wife when kids came into the picture and she drives a mini van.<GRIN>

lunisport

Postby lunisport » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:53 pm

Like Benn sez, rewire FTW :clap:

itsinthgam6
Forum Member

Postby itsinthgam6 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks Bennz, I am trying to be shabby sheik about it, I got the hand me down VW from the wife when the kids came into the picture so time/money is hard to find these days. =( wah wah wah I know.

Funny thing is this model was the 97 Jetta Jazz and came with the premium sound system with 8 speakers and amp and cd changer??? I believe they say it was a BOSE system so hopefully they wired it with thicker wire in the first place. I guess I'll have to listen to the system with the new deck and listen for which speakers suck or sound blown. =( replacing 8 speakers, amp, wiring might cost me a little too much right now.

I was just curious if anyone has experience with upgrading this model's premium sound system.....Also, is the PAC adapter used like a pre out to amps or a sub ?

Mind you, since working on the car a couple of weeks ago and looking into this and being back on the NORCALVW site i'm getting exciting about getting this 97 into shape !!!!! haahahahah

OH PS> Thanks for the special tool offer Bennz. I was upset seeing that thing. Found this link that shows install and how a wire hanger might work as a tool substitute.

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/VW/PDF/890005.pdf

<GRIN>

#3: 02 GTI 1.8T dreamiest car that couldn't afford but leased it anyway.(transfered lease to sister)
#4: 97 Jetta Jazz passed down to me from wife when kids came into the picture and she drives a mini van.<GRIN>

itsinthgam6
Forum Member

Bose Premium Sound System Specifications

Postby itsinthgam6 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm

Does anybody have the specs on this system?

Stereo , amp, speakers in and out wattage etc.......??

Return to “Car Audio & Electronics”