Boom boom boom!
mk4
Forum Member

Postby mk4 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:23 am

Infinity Kappa.................:thumb:

blkrado28
Forum Member

Postby blkrado28 » Wed May 05, 2004 4:09 pm

Any Infinitys sound great even the references.
I need money!!!!!!

I'm not German, but I am Dutch and that's close enough for me.

daver365
Forum Member

Postby daver365 » Thu May 20, 2004 6:39 am

Get the speakers you want and it isn't very hard to make up some bracket to hold them in the right place I had to do it to my car. Get some small 90 degree bracket at the hardware store they work fine. You might have to cut or bend them a bit.

Good luck

Turtle-Dude

Postby Turtle-Dude » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:18 pm

I have Q's...they absolutely rule.

As for the "bracket" idea, it's not so hot. For decent sound and mid-bass you need to keep the back sound wave seperate from the front wave...if you use something smaller than the hole in the door use a ring all the way around the speaker.
Turtle

Thanks to:
Techtonics Tuning

Check out:
United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps

aggiepm wrote:What is Quaife? isn't that a vaginal fart?

ds1919
Forum Member

Postby ds1919 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:47 am

hmmmm, you know, you dont have to spend a ton of money on car speakers. All these Inf Kappas and MBs,and Polks and bla bla bla are waaaaay overpriced. Try some drivers that are used in speaker systems for Audiophiles. These are in systems that cost over $10,000. I use Vifa, ScanSpeak, Audax, Morel, Focal, Seas, Peerless, Dynaudio, ect. You may not have ever heard of these brands, and they may sound like wierd or junky. But they are used in speakers that retail for the price of a downpayment on a nice home. check out http://www.partsexpress.comwww.partsexpress.com and you will see that you can get these drivers for a fractin of the cost of the mainstream middle-o-da-line crap that all these dealers sell. I have been using them since 1985, and yes, some didnt hold up well in the sun, but most are made with the same materials as the "mainstream middle-o-da-line crap" speakers.
This summer I installed some little tuned boxes with Audax titanium coated tweeters and Vifa 5 1/4 bassmids (Xovers inside the box) in my work truck. I took the door panels off and tehn took a saw Zall to the metal and was able to fit these boxes into the doors, barely. But man, with the Nakamichi CD deck and a Harman Kardon amp, it sounded pristine.

SkunkWerks
Forum Member

Postby SkunkWerks » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:00 am

Originally posted by Turtle-Dude
I have Q's...they absolutely rule.

As for the "bracket" idea, it's not so hot. For decent sound and mid-bass you need to keep the back sound wave seperate from the front wave...if you use something smaller than the hole in the door use a ring all the way around the speaker.

I, too, have MB Quart speakers in my car. Yes, they are awesome.

I, too, agree with the back wave mixing with the front wave: don't!
'06 Jetta GLI

RIP - '98 Jetta TDI

ds1919
Forum Member

Postby ds1919 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:46 am

thats right, you need the "baffle" to keep the rear waves from meeting the front waves. Otherwise, you cancel out the lower freqs. You can get away with brackets with the mids and highs, provided there are no bass freqs going through the mids (such as a 4 1/2" bass mid used to tie the lower and mid region). That is another reason I go with the high quality drivers -> they have all the specs so you can tune an enclosure to accomodate the exact sound you are trying to achieve.

Another note, I re-read my post about the mass produced speakers, and I sounded like MB Quart, Polks and all the like were not any good. Actually, they sound really good! Its just that I guess I used to get upset at all the big box stores for selling these speakers at an astronomical price, knowing very well that they got them for an extremely low price. In comparison to high end speakers, these name brand car speakers are not built to the same high specifications. But again, that said, they still sound great. I was just trying to suggest to people that you dont have to spend your hard earned $$$$$$$ paying for a name. There are alternatives out there that can sound better, yes better, than the mass produced lines of car speakers. Hope I didnt offend anyone, I was half asleep when I wrote the first post on this thread....

ds1919
Forum Member

Postby ds1919 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:38 pm

You mean 'fit perfectly in the same factory location'? yeah, if you get a speaker that mounts with no air gaps so as to keep the front of the driver separate from the rear, then you should be good.....

gteye337
Forum Member

Postby gteye337 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:31 am

ds1919,
took the words right out of my mouth! Good advice, all those brands are like music to my ears, we should meet up, good to know there are some fellow sq guys out there.

omllenado
Forum Member

Postby omllenado » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:54 pm

I have the focals and they sound awesome especially with the amp.

2nsane
Forum Member

Postby 2nsane » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:20 pm

for those who want to get MB quart get them off EBay you can save almost 150 just on the speakers alone. :shocked: look up MB Quart and search for what you want. you dont have to buy the Q series to get veary simalar sound quality.
2004 Jetta GLI VR6
2006 passat 3.6 lux

ds1919
Forum Member

Focals!!!

Postby ds1919 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:18 pm

omllenado! you got the Focal auto series drivers??

I really love the Focal home audio drivers and the car ones have awsome specs! If I were to chose any setup I wanted, I would get these, period! Focals deliver very live and robust sound. Man! I bet you're stoked!!!!

Return to “Car Audio & Electronics”