looking for a good tuning shop

General Maintenance, Repair and Troubleshooting. Questions and DIY
jonwusa
Forum Member

looking for a good tuning shop

Postby jonwusa » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:00 pm

looking for a good tuning shop or you a may know some one who wants to earn some extra money tuning my mk1 gti,in or around the tracy area.really want someone who is experienced with the 8vs
thanks

zuhaelter_82

Postby zuhaelter_82 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:50 pm

What are you looking to get out of the car? do you want a race car or a reliable faster daily driver?
1959, 1964,1998, 2000, 2001

jonwusa
Forum Member

Postby jonwusa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:17 am

more of a reliable faster car,car really just needs some fine tuning,engine has been fully rebuilt and just run in,so now it just needs tweeking.just had the car smogged and they had to adjust the mixture to get it to pass,so now it just needs tweeking back.

zuhaelter_82

Postby zuhaelter_82 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:21 am

Don't touch the mixture! If it has been rebuilt then advance the timing a little and you will get more go out of it. There are little things you can do to get more HP but in the end it's CIS. Depending on if the head is solid lifter or hydro will determine how much more you can get out of it. A solid lifter head revs higher but dealing with shimes and adjusting the valves is the suck. Hydro heads are great for the throw in a cam and drive it. Opening up the exhaust will make a good difference also. You can find headers for cheap most the time.
Is the motor all stock? what motor code is it?
1959, 1964,1998, 2000, 2001

jonwusa
Forum Member

Postby jonwusa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:27 pm

motor is mostly stock,came out of another 84 gti.i have currently g grind cam,aftermarket headers,tt exhaust,high flow cat and magnaflow muffler.
my problem is when the engine is cold,she runs fine,i guess its getting a lot of fuel but when it gets warm and i guess the regulator kicks in ,she runs rough.i thought that she might need to be richer when warm,hench turn up the mixture but it makes no difference,i relly need to take it somwhere to adjust the timing and check other obviouse causes.
i am sure it would be a simple fix for someone with 8v knowledge but its finding someone.

snowfox
Forum Member

Postby snowfox » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:47 pm

jonwusa wrote:my problem is when the engine is cold,she runs fine,i guess its getting a lot of fuel but when it gets warm and i guess the regulator kicks in ,she runs rough.i thought that she might need to be richer when warm,hench turn up the mixture but it makes no difference...

This sounds like a vacuum leak, to me. When it's colder, it's getting a fatter mixture which masks the vac leak. When you're up to temp, the mixture leans out, back to what should be stoich - but the vac leak makes it lean and run like doo-doo.

I went through these same symptoms and vac leak elimination is the only thing that cured them. It was CIS-E, but the principle should hold for your CIS-lambda (I think that's the flavor you have...).

BTW, I know a guy named Patrick here in Livermore who is a MkI whiz... Not a shop, just a dubber. LMK if you're interested and I'll drop him a line and see about making an 'introduction'.

Cheers-
1989 Fox Wagon GL
2.0 ABA - GTI head - Hydro "G" - big TB - TT pipes - E30 Mounts - PSA 5spd - Neuspeed Coils - Bilstein Sports - Ronals - 10.1's - ADDCO bar

jonwusa
Forum Member

Postby jonwusa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:23 pm

i was worried that it might be a vac leak,other people have said that it is a pain to find,once again i guess if you have done it before then it would be easy.by all means let your buddy know,i work in livermore,so it would be easy to hook up with him.
thanks

jonwusa
Forum Member

Postby jonwusa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:23 pm

thanks for the info james,its a shame there is no one closer to tracy that can help me

snowfox
Forum Member

Postby snowfox » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:35 am

jonwusa wrote:i was worried that it might be a vac leak,other people have said that it is a pain to find,once again i guess if you have done it before then it would be easy.by all means let your buddy know,i work in livermore,so it would be easy to hook up with him.
thanks

Vac leaks are the suck. I don't think it matters if you've tracked them down before, they still suck to find. Some are easy, but a bunch of them are sneaky bastards... Where do you work in Livermore?

Check your PM so I can coordinate an intro. I'll drop my bud a line and check his availability, too.
1989 Fox Wagon GL

2.0 ABA - GTI head - Hydro "G" - big TB - TT pipes - E30 Mounts - PSA 5spd - Neuspeed Coils - Bilstein Sports - Ronals - 10.1's - ADDCO bar

omllenado
Forum Member

Postby omllenado » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:39 am

jonwusa wrote:thanks for the info james,its a shame there is no one closer to tracy that can help me

yeah sucks for us in the delta.

Return to “VW Technical & Repair”