Car technical problem

General Maintenance, Repair and Troubleshooting. Questions and DIY
petermartin
Forum Member

Car technical problem

Postby petermartin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:30 am

What is the most difficult technical problem facing commercialization of electrical cars ?

maxslug
Forum Member

Postby maxslug » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:24 am

petermartin wrote:What is the most difficult technical problem facing commercialization of electrical cars ?

Interesting first post... I'll bite just to see if you're a spam-bot or not...

THE BATTERIES! Lithium-Ion's barely get you there and there's not enough Lithium in the world to support converting from gasoline. We need a better source of electricity, be it a new battery chemistry or fuel cells.

-m
  • MK3 - 3.0L Turbo VR6 - "a few" mods
  • 1990 Audi CQrrado
  • Mopar - 72 Dodge Dart Swinger Special - showroom

IrishGLI
Forum Member

Postby IrishGLI » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:02 am

Cost of materials, cost of R&D, cost of car to consumer. Lack of longevity data. How long will an electric car last before components fail? What will it cost to replace these components? If having a trained and qualified mechanic replace a headgasket on a basic motor costs $600, can you imagine what it would cost to have basic maintenance done on a car like a Tesla?

Electrical components are even more finicky than my 88 GLI. One crossed wire, one missing ground, one stray surge and you could possibly fry an entire car.

EMP worries (hey its vaild, and if you dont think so, stay outta my bomb shelter in 2012), giant EMP pulse and your pretty little gas sipping prius or awesome tesla is toast, meanwhile your neighbor in his 66 chevy will be laughing as he passes you by.

Also, for example, the prius.

Early gen's would need complete battery replacement if you ran the car on just battery power for too long (ran out of gas). NOT a cheap fix.

Requires special parts, fluids, etc (tires is what comes to mind right away) to get optimal milage.

Requires special driving habits to get premium milage, driving habits you have to train yourself on.

No proof of longevity of parts.
Clean and Serene
The way I live my life now is my amends to the world.

zuhaelter_82

Re: Car technical problem

Postby zuhaelter_82 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:31 pm

The fact you are using more fossil fuels to build these shit boxes. Not to mention the mining of the metal needed for the batteries is killing the land. Diesel gets more MPG then hybrid!!! I just did a 10 minute speech on this very topic. They produce something called SMUG that is worse than SMOG. Take your hybrid and shove it up your green ass.

k2wagon
Forum Member

Re: Car technical problem

Postby k2wagon » Tue May 11, 2010 10:38 am

zuhaelter_82 wrote:The fact you are using more fossil fuels to build these shit boxes. Not to mention the mining of the metal needed for the batteries is killing the land. Diesel gets more MPG then hybrid!!! I just did a 10 minute speech on this very topic. They produce something called SMUG that is worse than SMOG. Take your hybrid and shove it up your green ass.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Return to “VW Technical & Repair”