products to fight oxidation???

General Maintenance, Repair and Troubleshooting. Questions and DIY
robdog
Forum Member

products to fight oxidation???

Postby robdog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:27 pm

Hello one & all. I am one of those bees w/out wings. Just curious if anyone had any recommendation for products to help remove oxidation to my 95 VW Golf. The paint job still is not cracked. I was thinking I could do this myself. Any ideas would be helpful.

zuhaelter_82

Re: products to fight oxidation???

Postby zuhaelter_82 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:13 am

I think that the best thing I have found is to start out with some rubbing research and finishing the job with polishing google.
Last edited by zuhaelter_82 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zuhaelter_82

Postby zuhaelter_82 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:38 pm

robdog
Forum Member

Postby robdog » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:33 am

zuhaelter_82 wrote:For reals though, http://guidetodetailing.com/damage-repa ... ir-clinic/

Thanks for the link. I am currently working turtle wax rubbing compound by hand. It's takes a long time for a little area. It will be a work in progress for me.

zuhaelter_82

Postby zuhaelter_82 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:20 pm

robdog wrote:
zuhaelter_82 wrote:For reals though, http://guidetodetailing.com/damage-repa ... ir-clinic/

Thanks for the link. I am currently working turtle wax rubbing compound by hand. It's takes a long time for a little area. It will be a work in progress for me.

Low speed orbital buffer works great as well... Just don't push down hard on it. Depending on how bad the oxidation is, you may need to do a little wet sanding.

robdog
Forum Member

Postby robdog » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:49 pm

zuhaelter_82 wrote:Low speed orbital buffer works great as well... Just don't push down hard on it. Depending on how bad the oxidation is, you may need to do a little wet sanding.

Right on. I will be on the lookout for one now :D

robdog
Forum Member

Postby robdog » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:24 pm

zuhaelter_82 wrote:
robdog wrote:

Low speed orbital buffer works great as well... Just don't push down hard on it. Depending on how bad the oxidation is, you may need to do a little wet sanding.

Your tips have worked like a charm. When I was working w/ the rubbing compound by hand, you can see the difference. However, when you use a orbital buffer, it's looks awesome. Now I have to finish the job. Thanks again for your help :thumb:

Return to “VW Technical & Repair”