Misfiring... F***in AWESOME...

Performance and tuning enhancements for your VW
DeviantDub
Forum Member

Misfiring... F***in AWESOME...

Postby DeviantDub » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:43 pm

Yeah so my engine light flashed at me and it sounded as if my car was misfiring, so i turned right the fuck around 1/2 a mile away from home... so i Scan it, and it throws the code 16684 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected... so does that mean my timing chain is fucked, or i just gotta replace spark plugs or what?? ANY HELP would be soooooo appreciated, i wanna get this fixed before i have to go home july 26th
03 Silverstone Gray VW GTI VR6, 20th AE Front & Rear lips, Cupra R Front lip, R32 sideskirts & spoiler, 18" TSW Kyalami's, KW V2 coilovers, NeuSpeed 25mm F/S 28mm R/S, WRD Rear Upper Stress Bar, GIAC chip, AEM CAI, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, EIP Short shifter, Kamei eyelids, DEPO smoked Angel Eye Projector HID Headlights w/fogs & smoked Lamin-X, Rear Fog, Smoked markers, Black VW emblems, OEM light up Jetta vents, Audi TT pedals, OEM MKV Aero wiper kit, OEM Polo rear wiper, Freedom Design stubby

jduarte
Forum Member

Postby jduarte » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:19 pm

For technical questions, the tex is your friend. Don't be intimidated, you don't even have to interact with anyone, just search and read.

Hope this helps: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=858025

:thumb:

DeviantDub
Forum Member

Postby DeviantDub » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:49 pm

Sureguy wrote:Coil packs are common. If your car runs then most likely it is not your timing chain. Does it have a dead misfire? Meaning does it miss at idle? part throttle? WOT? Or any of the three? If it is a dead miss it is easy to find the problem.

Yeah it misfires at idle, part throttle, and revving it up... all three, so how could i go about testing the coilpacks?? thanks man :thumb:
03 Silverstone Gray VW GTI VR6, 20th AE Front & Rear lips, Cupra R Front lip, R32 sideskirts & spoiler, 18" TSW Kyalami's, KW V2 coilovers, NeuSpeed 25mm F/S 28mm R/S, WRD Rear Upper Stress Bar, GIAC chip, AEM CAI, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, EIP Short shifter, Kamei eyelids, DEPO smoked Angel Eye Projector HID Headlights w/fogs & smoked Lamin-X, Rear Fog, Smoked markers, Black VW emblems, OEM light up Jetta vents, Audi TT pedals, OEM MKV Aero wiper kit, OEM Polo rear wiper, Freedom Design stubby

DeviantDub
Forum Member

Postby DeviantDub » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:53 pm

OH i just noticed too Happy Birthday SureGuy... hope ya have a good one man!!! :thumb: :drink:

DeviantDub
Forum Member

Postby DeviantDub » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:57 pm

Damn that sounds easy, but heres the thing, i only have like the shitty trial version of the vagcom program... so it only scans like Engine, and Brake system... and i know this is an engine problem, but the only code it throws is that 16684... it doesnt narrow down as to which cylinder is doin it... someone was telling me i could use an voltometer to see if the coilpacks are working???

DeviantDub
Forum Member

Postby DeviantDub » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:51 am

Sureguy wrote:Voltmeter will not tell you. Even the trial version of Vag-Com will at least give you the code maybe not the description. Doesn't sound like your car is telling you exactly which cylinder it is. Is it a 24V?

yeah its a 24v

DeviantDub
Forum Member

Postby DeviantDub » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:22 am

yeah im about to pay the 99$ to get the license for the vagcom program, itll be worth it im sure... :shoot:

DeviantDub
Forum Member

Postby DeviantDub » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:23 pm

thanks for the info everyone, fixed the DUB today though, it was a faulty coilpack, went and bought one, and was just gonna take one out, put the new one in, and go down the line, and put the one i took out, till i found the cylinder misfiring... but yeah first one i replaced i started it up and GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR my dub comes to life i was soooooooooo STOKED!!!!!! :thumb:

03 20thGTI

Postby 03 20thGTI » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:32 pm

DeviantDub wrote:thanks for the info everyone, fixed the DUB today though, it was a faulty coilpack, went and bought one, and was just gonna take one out, put the new one in, and go down the line, and put the one i took out, till i found the cylinder misfiring... but yeah first one i replaced i started it up and GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR my dub comes to life i was soooooooooo STOKED!!!!!! :thumb:

How many miles on the coilpack? Just curious...

DeviantDub
Forum Member

Postby DeviantDub » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:52 pm

53,000 good sir...

2nsane
Forum Member

Postby 2nsane » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:14 pm

wasnt there a recall for bad packs? I have seen a few on melt down and a few owners of the R32 have had coils go up in flames? i wonder what the problem is with these things. our jetta 04 GLI has a accasional misfire at start up but usualy goes away after a few seconds.
2004 Jetta GLI VR6
2006 passat 3.6 lux

DeviantDub
Forum Member

Postby DeviantDub » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Yeah there was a recall on badcoilpacks a while back but i guess they ended it cuz i tried to look on like on a recall site and found nothing for veedubs but the brake switch... id be pissed im my car went up in flames from a coilpack, hell i should invest in a extinguisher, couldnt hurt right...

2nsane
Forum Member

Postby 2nsane » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:42 pm

I think the recall was one of those silent jobs where they only replace it if it goes out :thumbsdow alot of 2003's were affected by it. You might want to contact VW of america and see what they can do for you. :thumb:
2004 Jetta GLI VR6

2006 passat 3.6 lux

Return to “VW Performance Upgrades & Tuning”