Project Car

Performance and tuning enhancements for your VW
shamu
Forum Member

Project Car

Postby shamu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:39 pm

Please forgive me for not "searching" on Vortex before posting this, but I honestly love you cats here at NorCalVW and respect your opinions. So wit that said...

In the last few days I've been considering finding a new project car to tinker with. Since I'll be starting a new job in the next week or so I'll actually have some spending money. Don't worry kids, Shamu isn't going anywhere. I'm just looking for a *gasp* second car!!! I know, I know, that's unheard of from a 20 yr old college kid but I think its possible.

Anyways, what I'm looking at is getting a MK3 2dr GTi or Golf. So my question is, (being I've never owned a VW made before 2005) what should I look for when finding a project MK3. I'd like a VR but am open towards 2.0Ls too. If I do purchase a 2.0 what could I do for it performance wise?

As far as the purchase, what are come common problems with MK3's that I should look for when buying? How much should I look to spend?

Or should I just stop dreaming and stick with my MK4???

I'm hoping the MK3 cats can just slip me a reply of why they love their cars and what they did/or are planning to do to their VWs. thanks guys
Nicholas "Shadrach" Smith
Weapon of Choice: 2005 2.0L Jolf GL
Alias: Shamu/Ethnick
Co Driver: Theodore (RIP)
ID: AE PLM 86

ohsnap
Forum Member

Postby ohsnap » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:49 pm

Wh00t!! Get a Golf then maybe Greg could help you out with some stuff that you might have questions on. :thumb: There is lots of mods for them :thumb:

"The administrator has decided that ohsnap should be quiet for a while."

Help me get a MK4 GLI!

lunisport

Postby lunisport » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:51 pm

Mk2 VRT. Nuff Said :rofl:

I, personally, have never owned a Mk3, but I've owned at least 2 every other generation (mk1,2,and 4). I dunno why, just happened that way.

The 2.0 is a pretty good motor, and there's a supercharger kit for it, so that could be fun.

I don't know what problems the mk3 VRs had, but I know the Corrado Vrs were somewhat problematic. But, if you want a nice "project", Vinnie's Mk3 VR is a beast, and for a good price.

I don't think I could go with less than 6 cylinders anymore if I were to acquire a mk3/4/5, but it's all personal preference. Mk1s are so light and a lot of fun, as are mk2s.

Best thing is to drive cars you're thinking of or go for a ride in them, I'm sure there's people with all sorts of generations of VW around somewhere close to you.

shamu
Forum Member

Postby shamu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:06 pm

thanks for the quick replies guys.

snap, nice pics... who's car is that?

I'm leaning on the 2.0L because of what I heard about handling with the heavy front end of a 6cyl. I want to supercharge it, and make it a nice canyon runner.

You guys think it'll be possible to find one with less than 100K miles on it these days?

ohsnap
Forum Member

Postby ohsnap » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:09 pm

Hoetex-er by the sn of BadassLilGolf or something.

Under 100k... not the most impossible thing to do, just takes lots of time.

Help me get a MK4 GLI!

lunisport

Postby lunisport » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:13 pm

For me, mileage isn't much of an issue, but maintenance. I probably would want to find one that's at 100k or had the timing chains/belts done already, as that might be an expensive project in itself.

SC'd 2.0 sounds like fun, and mk3s aren't that heavy. But nothing matches the sound of a ticked-off VR :funny:

Good luck, hit up CL, test drive some Mk3s. I think the difference between the Golf and GTI is the gearing (shorter on the GTI) so the GTi will feel peppier, but if you want some semblance of gas mileage, you might want to start off with a Golf, as it will take the same mods as a GTI, except for the gearing (from what I know).

Beware, don't test drive a mk3 VR, you will probably never be the same again :rofl:

ohsnap
Forum Member

Postby ohsnap » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:14 pm

lunisport wrote:For me, mileage isn't much of an issue, but maintenance. I probably would want to find one that's at 100k or had the timing chains/belts done already, as that might be an expensive project in itself.

SC'd 2.0 sounds like fun, and mk3s aren't that heavy. But nothing matches the sound of a ticked-off VR :funny:

Good luck, hit up CL, test drive some Mk3s. I think the difference between the Golf and GTI is the gearing (shorter on the GTI) so the GTi will feel peppier, but if you want some semblance of gas mileage, you might want to start off with a Golf, as it will take the same mods as a GTI, except for the gearing (from what I know).

Beware, don't test drive a mk3 VR, you will probably never be the same again :rofl:

Get brooke! Wheres the brooke?!

Help me get a MK4 GLI!

Turtle-Dude

Postby Turtle-Dude » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:31 pm

ohsnap wrote:Get brooke! Wheres the brooke?!

What he said. Bologna on the "too heavy" front end...bah.

Nice sig Nick...flavor of the month? Haven't yelled at you yet?
Turtle

Thanks to:
Techtonics Tuning

Check out:
United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps

aggiepm wrote:What is Quaife? isn't that a vaginal fart?

ohsnap
Forum Member

Postby ohsnap » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:55 pm

Nothing on here has counted as yelling, so eh. -1 there.
And what does it matter to you? Let it be.

:thumb:

Help me get a MK4 GLI!

Turtle-Dude

Postby Turtle-Dude » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:32 pm

ohsnap wrote:And what does it matter to you?

It doesn't. I just enjoy your variety of entertainment immensely. :thumb:
Turtle

Thanks to:

Techtonics Tuning

Check out:

ohsnap
Forum Member

Postby ohsnap » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:34 pm

Turtle-Dude wrote:It doesn't. I just enjoy your variety of entertainment immensely. :thumb:

1. Im one of those who can either
A) Find entertainment.
B) Create it.

2. Theyre a bunch of cool people. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

3. Sorry Nick!

Turtle-Dude

Postby Turtle-Dude » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:53 pm

ohsnap wrote:1. Im one of those who can either
A) Find entertainment.
B) Create it.

2. Theyre a bunch of cool people. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

3. Sorry Nick!

I've got no issue with Gruppe...nor any group, club, or militia :thumb:
Turtle

Thanks to:

Techtonics Tuning

Check out:

HumboldtCorrado
Forum Member

my thoughts on VR's...

Postby HumboldtCorrado » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:56 pm

i think this thread got jacked already, but i'll throw my hat into the ring for a nice VR mk3 or a VR corrado...
the VR C's handle awesome with fresh suspension, mine seemed very nimble and seldom felt "nose heavy". also, i wouldn't worry about corrado's vr being problematic.. they're the same as any other 12v... same exact thing that was in the passats of that era too..
as far as corrados, there's a bunch of random other corrado-specific shit that can break (seatbelts, spoiler, sunroof, windows, etc), but all can be remedied with some searching online and throwing money at it (ouch..).
as said above, if you aren't looking to do some maintenance, might wanna find something that's been maintained. timing chain parts will only be about $200, but then you get into doing the clutch, and doing the headgasket, changing all the coolingsystem parts that will need replacing, etc etc...
same deal with a mk3. vr6's can be expensive little whores, especially when you start digging into them..
i rocked damngti's gti for a few weeks, and it was a blast to drive. that was pre-cams too. :thumb:

good luck!

Turtle-Dude

Postby Turtle-Dude » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Is Shamu painted yet? Splitting monies between two cars prone to breakage is a nightmare...one that I live with on a daily basis. On that note:

The pros to some obvious choices
MkIII 2.0=supercharger...'nuf said.
MkIII VR6=lighter and faster than it's MkIV equivalent.
MkII 2 liter 16v rox as is, if it's not enough you can swap ANYTHING into it
MkI GTI are light and nimble, you can swap anything into it with a little effort.
Caddy it's a pickup, need I say more?
Cabby it's a convertible, need I say more?
Scirocco...lots of ups and down...mostly ups.
Corrado...see Scirocco but with VR available!
Turtle

Thanks to:

Techtonics Tuning

Check out:

vwabbitman
Forum Member

Postby vwabbitman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:22 pm

ohsnap wrote:Wh00t!! Get a Golf then maybe Greg could help you out with some stuff that you might have questions on. :thumb: There is lots of mods for them :thumb:

Yes both are somewhat true. I dont think anything else engine wise on my Golf could go wrong... other than the greatly feared KABOOM which I almost did last night(5500rpm in 4th gear... woops).
What I would do(and what I have planned for my Golf) is to SuperCharge it with THIS

Watch this video and look at the dyno figures at the end. :whoa:
www.humboldtvw.net
I hate hearing myself think when i drive...-tryNrunME
Im going on a bikeride, unless I change my mind before I get outside... :thumbup:-DubsportGTI
My Cars
BUY MY MKI PARTS

shamu
Forum Member

Postby shamu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:44 pm

hey guys thanks for all your info.

I'm learning a lot. and quickly.

You make a good point about Shamu Rich, as she is unfortunately... not painted yet.

The reason this thought of a new project car came up so suddenly was because I spotted a guy the other day selling his 2.0 MK3. I actually met him today and took a look and drive. The exterior is great for a 98 and the interior is flawless!! Only thing I noticed was a worn clutch that was tricky to drive for me and my easy-smeeshy-mark-four-2.0L-drivin'-left foot.

I snapped some pictures but don't feel like loading em yet. Its dropped, intake, exhaust, and a couple of cosmetic mods, and some GOD UGLY wheels! (Can I get an amen Justin?)

Anyways I love your car names Brooke. They made reading your post so much fun! Almost like reading a novel about a small-town bookworm teen girl, and her bad a**, afro-american, football playin' classmate competing for your love. black guy FTW. Don't mind me, its late.

Return to “VW Performance Upgrades & Tuning”