Looking to buy an 04 TDI MkIV

Performance and tuning enhancements for your VW
p1bump
Forum Member

Looking to buy an 04 TDI MkIV

Postby p1bump » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Heya folks,

got a 2004 TDI I'm thinking about buying, it's in another state and I'd be getting this puppy at auction. they report no damage with the vehicle at the moment, but the ABS and Airbag lights are illuminated on the dash.

I know on the passats the ABS light was not a rarity, how about on the MkIV's? is there a common module that takes a crapola?

and an Airbag light, are there similar maladies on these units?

Vehicle is being sold as is, deeply discounted suffice it to say. so my idea is purchase it, anticipating likley repair costs with the limited knowledge available on the car and try to make some cashola.

regards and thanks in advance. hola hola.
2004 Jetta Wagon 1.8Tip tinted

lunisport

Postby lunisport » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:33 pm

I don't know if there's any California Smog issues you'll have to deal with, but barring that, I think you have a WINNAR :rofl:

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:17 pm

I think so too, but I do not know if there are commong ABS or Airbag light issues. on the B5 passats the ABS light is a common issue, usually just the module thing.

anyone chime in on the Jettas?

lunisport

Postby lunisport » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:37 pm

Airbag light is sometimes the driver's side seat belt buckle. There's a sensor that goes bad in there and causes the airbag system to go a little crazy and set off a light, at least it did in my GTI.

ABS probably means it needs an alignment, as the wheels may not be spinning at the same rotation or they're misaligned. There's a steering angle sensor that will set off the ABS light if you aren't aligned properly.

Both of these issues I've experienced on my GTI, which currently has 123k miles. The Jetta, which only has 45k, hasn't experienced any of these issues, but the parts are most likely the same all across the board.

I say it'll probably be worth fixing, but if your motor isn't allowed in Cali, you'll have a hard time getting it legal, if at all.

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:50 pm

oh, diesels are allowed to be registered here as long they have 7500 miles or more, at least that was the law the last time I did this.

lunisport

Postby lunisport » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:56 pm

DOO EEEET! :clap:

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:02 pm

you may. the only issue is that someone can report you for intentionally evading the california laws.

if you are stationed here, such as in the military or for work, no problem.

if you genuinely live here and then try to register a car in another state and they get wind, well, let's just say they aren't very friendly.

fyi.

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:45 pm

lunisport wrote:...... ABS probably means it needs an alignment, as the wheels may not be spinning at the same rotation or they're misaligned. There's a steering angle sensor that will set off the ABS light if you aren't aligned properly. ......

Seriously? we just swapped the rear axle on a friends 02 MkIV wagon 1.8Tip, and he had no lights on. Craziness, becuase his shit was way bent.

This car has had a basic frame/mechanical inspection, but no more. As a result I would imagine it would have to be something else. Thank God I have vagcom, now only if I can figure out how to use it :confused:
I'll keep you posted. It's an 03 by the way, I had the year wrong, 63k miles.

anyone interested in a diesel?

lunisport

Postby lunisport » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:09 pm

p1bump wrote:Seriously? we just swapped the rear axle on a friends 02 MkIV wagon 1.8Tip, and he had no lights on. Craziness, becuase his shit was way bent.

This car has had a basic frame/mechanical inspection, but no more. As a result I would imagine it would have to be something else. Thank God I have vagcom, now only if I can figure out how to use it :confused:
I'll keep you posted. It's an 03 by the way, I had the year wrong, 63k miles.

anyone interested in a diesel?

I'm talking about the front wheel alignment. There's a steering angle sensor and if the steering wheel is held at an angle for a couple minutes while the car is moving, you'll get an either ABS or ASR/ESP light. Now that I think about it, it might have been the anti-slip system.

More info on the TDI? IF it's a 5 speed, yum.

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:34 pm

if I get it, I'll know this week. I'll keep you posted. something tells me there are other issues going on with the car, the chassis inspection apparently came through clean. if an alignment was that far off I would imagine that it would be result of a shunt of some kind that should have been reported on the inspection. anyway, we'll see.

I can get Jetta Diesel TDI 5spd if anyone is interested. I own a small brokerage and TDI's are my main focus. let me know. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, fyi.

Return to “VW Performance Upgrades & Tuning”