BOV question

Performance and tuning enhancements for your VW
slowmofo
Forum Member

BOV question

Postby slowmofo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:57 am

Does a blow off valve really damage the turbo on the 1.8t? Im not to fimiliar with this.

omllenado
Forum Member

Postby omllenado » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:00 am

slowmofo wrote:Does a blow off valve really damage the turbo on the 1.8t? Im not to fimiliar with this.

Welcome.

To answer your question yes blow off valve's really damage the turbo on the 1.8t.... Inside every blow off valve are little babies that screams and some get stuck in the turbo when you're boosting over 14.7psi.... And you know I'm just kidding. // The'y throw off the 1.8T into running rich and the car feels slower but they do sound great until you hit limp mode.

VWCRAZY
Forum Member

Postby VWCRAZY » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:50 pm

If you want your car to sound like it has a blow off valve just flip ur DV sideways. It have a sort of ping sound when you let off the gas much like a blow off valve would, and it does not hurt your car. I have been running it that way for months and nothing has happened so far the car seems to run a little bit better

slowmofo
Forum Member

Postby slowmofo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:35 pm

I wouldnt know how to do that. But I would like to know how too.

VWCRAZY wrote:If you want your car to sound like it has a blow off valve just flip ur DV sideways. It have a sort of ping sound when you let off the gas much like a blow off valve would, and it does not hurt your car. I have been running it that way for months and nothing has happened so far the car seems to run a little bit better

diz_gti
Forum Member

Postby diz_gti » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:16 pm

doesnt the HKS SSQ BOV solve this problem? i dont own or drive a turbo. i just read about it. but most go DV on stock turbo and BOV on crazy after market turbo set up. thas my understanding. and i know im mostly wrong. so dont listen to me
www.badubs.com

omllenado
Forum Member

Postby omllenado » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:00 am

johnny5gti wrote:the HKS SSQV can solve the problem but its different car to car..plus SSQVs are not made to the same quality they use to be made.

I love the hks ssqv... I ran one the first year I got chipped then sold it... then bought another one with a different trumpet. I also tried blitz and forge which makes the car run like shit then eventually went with a stratmosphere hyperboost dv... Car ran solid with that for years

Another thing that you can try is that other hybrid bov where you can vent some of the air to the atmosphere and some back into the intake...

slowmofo
Forum Member

Postby slowmofo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:05 am

So if I want a little noise as I shift like a BOV would do, should I just buy a CAI and DV? Im not looking for it to be insane crazy noise but I love the noise the turbo gives off.

slowmofo
Forum Member

Postby slowmofo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:15 am

bluebora20v wrote:CAI + DV is very loud. You might want to just listen to people's setups...go to a GTG.

The HKS seems to work fairly well. You can also run the HKS recirculated (basically acts as a DV). People run hybrid valves effectively for the most part.

Ok what's a GTG?

omllenado
Forum Member

Postby omllenado » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:09 am

slowmofo wrote:Ok what's a GTG?

Get together, meets etc. There's a couple of meets scattered around the bayarea.

Return to “VW Performance Upgrades & Tuning”