Opinions or experiences on Hotckis sway bar package?

Performance and tuning enhancements for your VW
p1bump
Forum Member

Opinions or experiences on Hotckis sway bar package?

Postby p1bump » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:59 pm

While tooling around thinking about spending money I don't have on my wife's '04 1.8T MkIV Wagon on Purems.com ....

I saw a set of Hotchkis sway bars, front and rear hollow bars. I've known this company for a very long time from the muscle car scene in the 90's and all, does anyone know anyone who has this setup? Has anyone ridden in a car with them? Does anyone here have them?

Looking for opinions and feedback.

Also, most of the marketing relates to GTI stuff, but what adverse or beneficial effects might I find with the additional weight in the rear from the wagon body?

Thank you
2004 Jetta Wagon 1.8Tip tinted

zuhaelter_82

Postby zuhaelter_82 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:01 am

Front sway on a MKIV is HELL! is this the sway bar that goes between the axel and control arms. I have had that one on my car for about 3 years. I am in love with its performanceso far. It has never left the garage but it has great response on the jack stands.
1959, 1964,1998, 2000, 2001

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:45 pm

zuhaelter_82 wrote:Front sway on a MKIV is HELL! is this the sway bar that goes between the axel and control arms. I have had that one on my car for about 3 years. I am in love with its performanceso far. It has never left the garage but it has great response on the jack stands.

I have no idea what you mean, I'm embarassed to say.... :(

You do have one?

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:48 pm

Sureguy wrote:I've installed them on A6's and A4 and they are nice. They have zerk fittings so you can lube the bushings. Handles were much improved.

by handles I assume you mean handling? On my b5 Passat I ran a Neuspeed rear bar and, as is common, the big rear bar kind of ruins the comfort of the car going in and out of driveways and when crossing dips diagonally.... that's something that was exactly the same on my 95 SHO as well.

So, I'm wondering if the firmer bar in the front as well as a bar added to the rear would result in the handling improvement one would want plus cancel out the rear only bar syndrome beating your kidneys in.... Of course that could also have been a result of the Eibach springs and struts on the passat, those were too harsh for northern California roads... and I digress...

Sureguy, would you rate the overall quality of these as good as ATI (I think it's ATI), Neuspeed, et al?

thank you

diz_gti
Forum Member

Postby diz_gti » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:19 pm

sounds simple enough
www.badubs.com

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:39 pm

just when I thought I was getting closer, I'm finding myself more lost.

did he mean to ignore all words in bold type/upper case?

Dyslexia, ADD and lack of experience are likely kicking my ass here.

diz_gti
Forum Member

Postby diz_gti » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:47 am

and bingo was his name O
www.badubs.com

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:14 pm

yeah.... right :huh:

Turtle-Dude

Postby Turtle-Dude » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:04 pm

rex_racer wrote:Lol.

To put it in simple terms H Sport makes great products, very well designed. If they had more of an import presence they would be more popular amongst european and japanese cars alike. Having a muscle car background regardless of their sports car racing history, hurts them.

H sport bars are on the larger end of the spectrum, but they are hollow as well, so you won't be adding as much weight to the car. Servicing the bars is also extremely easy, being that they have Zerk fittings, which requires nothing more than a tube of grease and a tool to connect to the fitting. I would strongly recommend that the bushings be relubed every year, if not every 6 months for optimum bushing and bar life.

Sway bars will always lead to a decrease in ride comfort over variations in side to side bumps. Sway bars constrain the arms, by tieing them together, you decrease how easily the suspension complies with the road. If the bump is a large one that the wheels on the same axle hit at the same time then ride comfort will not be decreased.

In the case of the MKIV the front sway bar loops over and around the driveshafts, this typically leads to clearance issues when lowering the vehicle. To get around this, some companies makes swaybars with larger loops, and some just remove their front sway bar all together. H Sport has gone about this in a smarter direction by going under the driveshaft and above the control arm. This results in maximizing clearance issues regardless of height, a very smart, and very motorsports like direction. This is the same method that VW Racing employs on their race bars.

I would highly recommend their bars, they are a great deal as their kit usually costs less than the competitions kits, while emphasizing performance. I personally went with the Neuspeed 25mm front bar and the 32mm hollow rear bar as my track vehicle requires more bar rate to fine tune the car, but I am already looking at custom solutions to replace these two bars.

I would recommend the H Sports to anyone looking for cost effectiveness and performance.

If you are looking for another dealer to purchase through that is more trustworthy, I would recommend Lubrify Racing Fluids. Their mainstay is fluids and oils, but they also sell a variety of products as well. He has sold a number of H Sport kits and all the buyers have been extremely happy.

AND the owner of Lubrify is a die-hard NorCal VW supporter in good standing and since NorCal VW has existed.
Turtle

Thanks to:
Techtonics Tuning

Check out:
United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps

aggiepm wrote:What is Quaife? isn't that a vaginal fart?

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:55 pm

shoot, when it comes to buying anything Eibach, Koni, Hotchkis or Bilstein... often the best deals can be found on ... gulp, Summit Racing.

go figure. Anywho, thank you for the thoughtful and insightful (e.g. helpful) resopnse. thank you.

and I couldn't agree more that a pony car background hurts in the import segment, there is not a doubt about the lack of cross pollenation amongst these demographics.

It's in the same way that Audi, Mercedes and BMW buyers are not likely to buy a cadillac, no matter how hard they try to gather the "other's" customer base.

Grassyass.

Return to “VW Performance Upgrades & Tuning”