Performance and tuning enhancements for your VW
p1bump
Forum Member

Update wanted from Tokico Illumina users

Postby p1bump » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Hello my fellow dubbers,

I've read exhaustively all I could about Koni sports v Bilstein HD v others

BBBUUUUTTTT

What I'm really hoping to find are some long term Tokico llumina impressions from those whom have had them for 1000's of miles.

Please feel welcomed to chime in, but be sure to mention the springs being used (factory softies, softsports, eibach or whatever).

Our 1.8T wagon has the "sport" package, car came with the 17" wheels, which I this has firmer springs. I want some performance along with ride quality that won't kill me on the crappy northern california roads with our lovely sharp bumps, abrupt surface height changes, potholes that will swallow a school bus, etc.

Koni and Bilstein long term users have written volumes, but there is very little Illumina information out there.

I have had very nice experiences with Tokico in the past. Illuminas with Eibachs on a 2000 Mustang GT, Tokico HP's with Eibachs on a 1995 Taurus SHO and Trekmasters on my 1995 Tacoma. But there are certainly limited MkIV impressions.

lunisport

Re: Update wanted from Tokico Illumina users

Postby lunisport » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:03 pm

I had some Tokico blues on my Mk4 GTI 24v, but there were some cut front VR6 springs, and they were way too soft for me. The dead coils were cut to get a little lower, but I would always hit the bump stops with the Tokicos. I swapped out Bilstein Yellows with 1.8T Neuspeed springs, so I was still low in the front because of the VR6 but that combo rode a lot better. I'm someone who usually runs Race springs, and currently have Koni Coils on my Corrado with the stiffness turned up, so anything less is soft to me, heh.

If you can afford it, I would opt for Bilstein replacement shocks. But, it's personal preference. Do you plan on lowering the wagon or keeping it at Sport height?

I miss my wagons...

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:53 am

sofsports, if at all. I understand maybe a quarter inch of lowering with a slightly firmer spring rate.

haven't heard many good reviews of touring class bilsteins if that is what you are talking about. off a hundred or so tc reviews they seem to be about 5-7% positive... not good.

difficult to asses your opinion of the tokico's compared to what we are going to do because of the variety of springs you ran...

not a lot of people use these things, do they?

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:54 am

that mk4 pic is by the townhomes built along the ridge in oakland, right of 580. I know that area... where is the B5 pic taken?

lunisport

Postby lunisport » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:01 pm

p1bump wrote:that mk4 pic is by the townhomes built along the ridge in oakland, right of 580. I know that area... where is the B5 pic taken?

Wrong side of the Bay ;)

I live in South San Francisco :D

And Yellows are not Touring series, I believe they are Sports. The other series is HD, which is black. Put a set of Bilstein Yellow on my Volvo S70 with H&R springs, and the car handles awesome.

p1bump
Forum Member

Postby p1bump » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:44 am

I think that....

Koni Yellows are Koni Sport.

Bilstein HD and Bilstein Sport are both yellow

Bilstein Touring Class is black from what I have seen...

Return to “VW Performance Upgrades & Tuning”